Thursday, March 10, 2016

To you I Belong. (Abu Dhabi)

*My shortlisted entry for The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature - Capture 380 contest.*



It hasn't been that long. To last when I slid my fingers through your fine, pale sand. To when I felt the coolness of the night gone in every grain that brushed my skin. To when I picked up a handful and let it blow away in the winds. 

It hasn't been that far to when I delicately put my feet into your sparkling waters. They chilled me to the soul. With every wave washing away the pains to the shore. With every particle reflecting the ever blue sky. And melting me into it's turquoise depths.

It wasn't that long when I breathed in your early morning air. The fog just lifting, leaving dew drops sliding down the shivering leaves. And as the breeze caressed my face, I could feel your love growing in me. The fragrance of the freshly cut grass soothing my chaotic thoughts. 

To you I have always belonged.

An eternity has passed to when you cradled me in your arms through starry nights of sleep. To when you held fast to the moment I took my first steps on you. To countless birthdays that passed in raising me to be safe, confident and loved. I rebelled. But you never ceased to envelope me into your patient arms of comfort. 

An eternity has passed to when you matured from a plain land to hovering skyscrapers. To when I watched my birthplace change its face entirely. I saw you accept the different from far away lands. And how you grew into a graceful centre of beauty with white clouds bowing in awe of your generosity. 

To you I will always belong.

My heart yearns for you yet again. For home has been nothing else. No matter how many times I tried leaving, your love pulls me back. The beckoning skies and the sultry waves pull me back. The memories of innocent carefree days pull me back. For I can still hear the tinkling laughter of the young as they played. For I can still remember the first times that I engraved on your every bark. 

For i still remember how you welcome me back with open arms every time.

And heal me back to sanity once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails